Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Party's Over.......



Sloshed Apostles Anonymous


Well, it was one for the bucket list! Hard to believe that my return to the stage has run its course.......at least... this show has.

What fun! As terrifying as auditioning was, performing in Jesus Christ Superstar was a total blast - not just a blast from the past. I wasn't nervous at all, which took me by surprise. And with each performance the gel thickened until we really were apostles, priests, tormentors, soldiers, procuators, lepers, buyers & sellers (prostitutes?) and soul girls. Oh, and savior/superstars!*

I think my favorite part was flitting around backstage between scenes. It was hard to believe I was there, the firefly light of the microphone glowing on my back, my costume (pieced together with contributions from my She-Critters closets) swaying as we danced to oh-so-familiar music, huddling around the mike with the "rabble" to affect an angry mob. I loved rushing to change from apostle to leper to apostle again, and finally to soul girl (and apostle again for curtain call). They say the magic of theater occurs onstage and in the audience, but it's palpable backstage as well in the dim footlights and glow-tape, the props table and dressing rooms - and the wings!  Always in the wings!

Quite a few cast members got teary with post production letdown, but I'm still pumped! I actually did this brave, wonderful thing - an experience that greatly enriched my already full-of-many-blessings life. I stepped outside of my comfort zone, tested my abilities, made new friends, embraced my inner thespian, and lived in a fun and creative way. No whining here, just really good wine! (The bread was pretty awesome too --- I scored the recipe from the props mistress!)

And... the party doesn't have to end. For the time being I'm back to chauffeuring Critters to & from their play practices. But, watch out! Actress Momster has been set loose!

*Almost forgot to mention the amazing band and tech crew!  Thank you one and all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment