Tuesday, February 19, 2013

An Explanation

Yesterday's post may have seemed out of the blue, though auditioning for our local theater production of Jesus Christ, Superstar is something I'd been considering for months.  What with everything that's been happening health-wise in this house, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to manage it. Yet despite frayed nerves and that darn, lingering head cold, I worked up my courage and gave it a shot.

It was definitely one of the most terrifying experiences of my life!  And that includes accumulated hours of hard pitocin- accelerated labor.

But after all these years of shuttling the Critters back & forth to auditions and play practices, I realized that I really miss being onstage myself.  Narcissistic, you say?  Or perhaps a midlife crisis?  Maybe both.  Or maybe girls just wanna have fun, even fifty year old ones.

The last time I auditioned for anything I was a confident young college student with a drama scholarship, young being the operative word in that statement.  I wouldn't exactly be auditioning for the same roles these days.  But that's the great thing about community theater.  If this were The Sound of Music you might see a cast with a fifty year old Maria to a seventeen year old Captain.  (Can't tell you how badly I wanted to trip the leading lady and belt out a verse of title song when the Critters performed it in children's theater this summer! Ah, for the glory days!  It would've worked that Third Child & Sweetie Petite-y were Von Trapp children, but since Only Son was cast as the Captain, I refrained.)

The only real role for a woman in this upcoming production is Mary Magdalene, so I went for it.  Me and every other woman who wasn't shootin' for Judas.  It's been even longer since I last saw this show than since I had no stretch marks...so I was a little fuzzy on the lyrics.  In fact, some of the music I would swear I've never heard before.  But there I was, up on that stage with all the other Mary wanna-bes not knowing how to love my little heart out.

And yes, it was scary, but it was also a blast.  No matter what happens, I'm glad I did it.

And in the meantime, I'm living the role of a lifetime.  My audience may not always be appreciative - yet.  But I'm hoping for a standing ovation by the time they have families of their own.



******


This just in: before I'd even finished spell-checking I got a call from the director.  But.... I think I'll make you wait till next post.......

No comments:

Post a Comment