Sunday, February 24, 2013

Return of the Condiment Queen

While Hubby and I were dating (and even prior) it was a well known fact that one of us was rather fond of condiments. Since he's a basic ketchup and mustard kinda guy, you may be able to guess who it was.

He affectionately dubbed me The Condiment Queen after an episode at the local pizza joint involving not only the classic add-ons of garlic, Parmesan, and oregano, but also massive quantities of chilis and hot sauce. There may have been more options too, and if there were I'm sure I took full advantage.  But since my head caught fire that day, that's all I can really remember. 

It's not that I didn't like plain old pizza, or whatever.  I just liked to spice it up a little.  Still do.

Which must be why I kept on adding children...

When we had FirstBorn life felt pretty complete. But with each addition our family just kept getting better and better, each member adding new flavor to the mix.  It's no coincidence that the most addictive foods are not only sweet, but salty, acid and umami as well.  Rich with layers of flavor.  We've been stewing all together in this pot for so many years now that sometimes it's hard to discern those individual flavors.  Except.... now that Firstborn is away at college, dished out into the world separately, we're beginning to find out how she'll season things there sans the rest of us.

I'm not too worried - I know she won't leave it bland.  She's inherited my love of spice.

And she carries a little of each of us with her.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment